Monday, March 02, 2009

And the life begins…

It was around 8:30PM or 9PM on a Tuesday (precisely, 16th Dec’08 ) night. We were in Deepu’s house. We were all sitting in the living room and chatting while Deepu was browsing channels on TV. His phone rang. He answered the call. His mother was calling from Mysore. She said, “Mini has been admitted to the hospital”. I could see his forehead lines getting sharper. He still managed to be in command and spoke calm.

After hanging the call, he just prayed to god and turned back to me. He had just started to explain to me about the phone call, this time my phone rang. Mini had called me this time. When I heard her voice, I could sense the ting of worry, nervousness, fear, happiness, excitement- a mixture of emotions. I tried to console her, tried build her courage up and wished her all my luck. When the call was over, nervousness had crept over me too! For a moment, we all were numb and silent. None of us knew what to say to each other.

We had clearly informed over phone that for any concerns, they can always call us, no matter what time it is. As usual, I took a leave from there and went home. I told my parents about the matter too. Instantly, my amma and doddamma also prayed to god. My amma got tensed too. She asked me to keep my cell in the normal mode (Generally I switch to silent mode when I go to sleep). I did. That night everyone at home almost saw every hour of the clock. We were waiting for the news and there was none!

I drowsed into sleep in the early morning. And when I got up, the clock was showing 10AM. My mom curiously came to my bed and asked me whether I had any update. I checked my cell. I had no message, no call!!! The anxiety took over again. I immediately called Deepu and he said, “Mini had a baby girl in the morning at 9:15AM”. I was overwhelmed!! I congratulated him, couldn’t speak anything more. My family rejoiced with us too. All were happy. The anxiety no longer prevailed. And the life continued…

I spent the day thinking of the baby. When I spoke to my mother-in-law (of course, still would be), she just said, the baby was cute, fair and plump. That was not enough for me. I was eagerly waiting for an angel. And when she had come, I had no patience to wait any longer to see her.

I spoke to my sister-in-law (obviously, she is also still would be ;)), the next day, she also could not give me the right picture of the baby. The curiosity in me had by now grew up like a sky scrapper. All these days, whenever I spoke to Deepu, I spoke of the baby. He did not enjoy the news as much as I did, because, he was worried about his sister. He wanted to just see her once and feel that she is completely fine. Then shall he celebrate and welcome the new born.

So, we decided to go to Mysore on Saturday. Due to various reasons, it got postponed to Sunday. I could barely sleep on Saturday night. Sunday morning, by 9AM, I was at Deepu’s place and when we actually started to Mysore, it was 9:30AM and none of us knew what was waiting for us?!! We drove all the way talking everything under the sky but nothing about the baby or the mother.


And when we reached there!!!!!!!!!!! There was the biggest BONANZA!!! I saw the baby and my eyes sparkled with happiness! I could not wait for a second more to take her in my arms. I lifted her and observed her carefully. She was very blissful. Round face, chubby cheeks, fair complexion, jet black eyes, fairly long limbs, as tender as…. What??? There is no match to it. The baby was soooooooooooooooooo cute. Her ears, feet, fingers, skin, hairs everything spoke of beauty at its extreme. I could not stop looking at her. I touched her all over. She was soft. I kissed her forehead. She looked at me with half opened eyes and my happiness hit the peak!

The angel

Every aspect of her was a wonder for us. The way she was sleeping silent, the way she stretched her body when she got up, the way she moved her eyes around, the way she cried, the way she gulped the polio drops, the way she made faces at us… Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!! There are many. All her actions were special in all ways. She took us through a different world in just the few hours we spent there.

Later, with profuse unwillingness, we had to come back. All the while we drove back we could not help but talk about the baby, her tenderness, her beauty, her activities… She had managed to put us all into a fantasy world where everything seemed gorgeous. There was no room for anything unpleasant there.

With still one week to go for her to come here, I am now jotting the things to be shopped for her, and (of course, with more pleasure, dreams and aspirations) the life continues… Actually, and the life begins…

No comments: